2011/12/30

Year in Review: 2011

Being the first year in which I ran this blog (after my initial unfocused blog), everything that's here is from this year. But considering I wasn't able to get all the reviews I wanted up completed, I actually accomplished a lot more than I normally would have though.

Acquisitions of 2011

HGUC 1/144 Unicorn Gundam [Unicorn Mode]
HGUC 1/144 Sinanju
HGUC 1/144 Nu Gundam
HGUC 1/144 Gundam GP02A
HGUC 1/144 Gouf Custom
HGUC 1/144 Unicorn Gundam [Destroy Mode]
HGUC 1/144 Guncannon
HGUC 1/144 Guntank
HGUC 1/144 Kshatriya
HGUC 1/144 Stark Jegan
HGUC 1/144 Char’s Zaku II
HGUC 1/144 The-O
HGUC 1/144 Zeta Gundam
MG 1/100 Unicorn Gundam HD Color + MS Cage
HGFA 1/144 Gundam D-Hell Custom
HGFA 1/144 Gundam H-Arms Custom
SEED-HG 1/144 Strike Noir Gundam
1/10 Rockman
Evangelion Unit-01 Awakening Ver.
King Kittan
D-Arts X
HGUC 1/144 ZZ Gundam
HGUC 1/144 Hyaku-Shiki + Mega Bazooka Launcher
HGUC 1/144 Qubeley
HGUC 1/144 Zeong
HGUC 1/144 G-Armor
HG00 1/144 00 Raiser GN Condenser Type
HGUC 1/144 Gyan
HGUC 1/144 Gouf
HGUC 1/144 Char’s Z’Gok
HGUC 1/144 GM
HGUC 1/144 G3 Gundam + Char’s Rick-Dom Set
D-Arts Zero (1st Ver.)
HG00 1/144 Gundam Exia Repair II
HG00 1/144 0 Gundam (A.C.D. Type)
D-Arts X (Full Armor Version)
HGUC 1/144 Zee Zulu
HGUC 1/144 Jesta


This was a nostalgic year, where all I aimed for was reclaiming my HGUC collection that I'd lost while adding new ones to the fold, as well. While I never got all that I had before, I'm only short, like, 5 from my previous set. I have, on the other hand, added so much more that had come out since 2005, which marked the beginning of my strictly MG phase.
I only got one MG this year, but it definitely was a worthy one. I also tried my hand at a couple of Gundam 00 kits, from which I love the designs, among other AU HG's.
A few other miscellaneous finds were the Kotobukia Rockman and a King Kittan (which I had for a while, but only just completed). Finally, I also got one of the new Evangelion models!
My last bit of plastic obtainment were the start of the D-Arts Rockman X line, which I am eagerly awaiting the future releases!


Real life, for me, has been a rough this year. I'm getting more and more jaded of the human race. I guess retail work will do that, but I still feel that the last sane people are others in the same business. I decided earlier this year that me and my fiance were going to move back to my native Indianapolis, IN, after issues with our current residence. So between that and keeping myself sane with whatever I could occupy myself with (as our social life here is non-existent). Namely: Gunpla, video games and anime. Least I become like Char...
I have found another addictive hobby that's not so expensive:
Minecraft.
Fun little indie sandbox game where you can build... well, anything! Seriously, the sky's the limit (which, by the way, is 64 blocks above sea level)! So I've had that during my broke areas, or otherwise uninspired moments.
Animes have been kind to me, with obtaining a few classics classics and keeping up with new releases. All 4 episodes of
Gundam UC that are out are in my possession. And with only 2 left, I can sense them to be very fast paced, having 4 books left to cover.
My last piece of my life-stealing artifacts, which I had been looking forward to since the announcement of the arcade game, is the PS3 import of
Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs.

I just got it a couple of days ago and LOVE IT!!! Sure, online I've gotten my ass promptly handed back to me, but none the less. It's just as fun as I remember back from my days with the PS2 Gundam Vs. Zeta Gundam. Single player provides more than enough to keep me occupied until I get good.
If anyone wants to play me, my PSN handle is, of course,
OZKai

Geting this game has changed my Gunpla focus a bit, to acquire suits from this game (Not that I don't have a lot from it already). Unfortunately, so many still have yet to see newer releases, and I'm not going to start collecting old 80's kits just to fill those gaps. Hopefully, Bandai will be kind and eventually cover those that hadn't made it yet.

I hope that 2012 brings a lot more favorable times and a better all-around mood. Our move is set to be mid-February, so this could be my last post until then!

SO, until then!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recently got around to finishing my second (purchased) 1/100 (my first built), and had built two 1/144s before then. I've been thinking about getting some diorama parts for taking photos, even if I haven't recently been in a mood to review things.

My last online session of GEV was almost a week ago, where I managed to somehow pull off a couple of victories for a change. I main the SUMO, which feels most comfortable to use, even if it's not the best unit of the game. It's like the two characters I mainly use in Tekken 6; only one of them has a random chance of being the best one to use, and I'm most comfortable in using the other, even if the moves are more based on speed rather than strength.

I'm not sure (for a couple reasons I won't bother getting into) on whether to update my blog or not on a couple of gaming-related subjects, but I should bother to doing something Gunpla-related for it, even if I can just point to the couple of Gunpla blogs I follow (that haven't been updated recently) and get to doing other things. *shrug*

Anonymous said...

-- Yeah, everyone apparently forgot about the Byarlant since it was an odd design that didn't feel traditional as a MS design, let alone a Gundam one. It has a similar problem that the Turn A Gundam MS designs have (even if there's more of a unique, majestic/victorian feel to those that fits as well today as it would in the late-1800s/early-1900s). I get the impression that it feels squished, and that might come from it's head design.
I admit that I hardly remember it; my taste has been more in the '90s AU than anything else in Gundam. But it's not a bad design; I can see it handing you your rear end in an MS fight (beyond as an NPC in GEV) akin to how everyone did with Katoki's in Episode 4 of Gundam UC.

And that's why everyone's crowding around Katoki's take; he took out some of the curves, gave it more of a mechanical look (like he would other designs, even with the Gundams in Wing), and the animators went crazy in giving it action sequences in an OVA everyone's paying attention to now (it's not like everyone's rewatching Zeta Gundam every day).

-- HGACs? Sure, I'd get them as fast as I would HGCCs, but I don't think either would be possible at the moment, considering the concentration of UC, SEED, and AGE right now.

-- Not sure about FAUC, but if I would, it would be for the unit itself rather than the weaponry. And you think the sudden popularity of the Byarlant Custom might warrant a standard RD rather than yet another TWSL item, but maybe the popularity is just state-side. *shrug*

Anonymous said...

(Crap; the above was meant for your wishlist entry as the second part of my post for it. Ugh... Oh, well.)

Post a Comment